Carrot Cake

Sunday, July 19, 2015



Every once in a while,you come across a taste that opens your eyes and widens your palette.  As a child, I remember my go-to dessert was always chocolate flavored, until one day I can remember when I had my first bite of carrot cake and realized that vegetables can actually taste better than chocolate. 

The older I've grown the more I find that my taste palette is continuously changing (as I'm sure happens with everyone). 
There's something about realizing and discovering what you truly love that makes it feel so personal and intimate that it only feels unique to yourself. 
I have coined the term 'food chapter' for myself; about dishes and desserts that once I have tasted can't go back from.  They just multiply the possibilities I didn't know could exist. 
I figuratively flipped to a new page. 
Only a few very special foods make into this metaphorical book, and I will be sure to tell you when posting about one of them. Maybe they will make it into your book as well. 

Carrot Cake | www.mountaintopchef.blogspot.com

I have made carrot cakes many times over, trying to find the perfect recipe. I found that the natural sweetness of the carrots does a decent job of sweetening the cake. I try to modestly decrease my sugar intake by decreasing the amount of sugar I put in my recipes as well as replace white sugar with brown sugar.  I try not to compromise the flavor of any food; at the same time make healthier decisions, however small.

Carrot cake naturally slides into middle place when it comes the density of a cake; which is one of the things I love about it. Carrot cake is not to dense and rich so much so that you can only take a few bites before you overdose, and it is not like angel cake where you secretly feel like your eating nothing. It's in the delicious middle.

Cupcakes are always an option. If you are looking for an easy and clean day in the kitchen. All that needs a little adjusting is the bake time. A helpful tip to remember is to reduce the the cook time of  cupcakes by one third to half the time you need to bake the cake. If you want to make cupcakes with this recipe, I suggest you bake them for 15 minutes. 
Adding cream cheese frosting is only an option if you are trying to go the healthy route; but lets be honest, who doesn't love cream cheese frosting?

Carrot cake is great for all occasions. It has a sophisticated feel to it, and yet is a popular favourite.If you experiment with any recipes and amend them into something more delicious, PLEASE tell us about it. We would love feed back and to try new recipes. We are just people looking to make tastier food. We might even do a little story about your version (crediting you completely of course).

Lastly, I have found, that if you would like to add walnuts or pecans to the recipe,  that giving them a little roast before puttting them into the batter helps bring out their flavor. 
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do. Its one of my absolute favorites. 

Carrot Cake

Ingredients

  • 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
  • 1 Tsp Baking Soda
  • 1 1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
  • 340g Carrots
  • 2 Tablespoons Sugar
  • 1 Cup of Walnuts or Pecans
  • 1/2 Cup White Sugar
  • 1 Cup Brown Sugar
  • 4 Eggs
  • 1/2 Cup Corn Oil 
  • 1/3 Cup Butter (75g)
  • 2 Tsp Vanilla Extract

Instructions

  1. Preheat oven to 180 Celsius (356 Fahrenheit). And grease two 9 inch pans. (or line with wax paper).
  2. Clean and peal your carrots. Then finely grate them. Sprinkle a little brown sugar on the carrots to get the juices to come out, and set aside.
  3. In the mixer, combine the sugars, salt, oil, and butter. When fully blended, add the eggs, cinnamon, vanilla, flour and baking soda. Lastly mix in the carrots and nuts.
  4. Split the batter into the two prepared pans. Bake for 25 min. or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
  5. Let cool and frost if desired.

  Follow Us On 
Follow  follow us in feedly

You Might Also Like

2 comments

Who's Here

Circle Us

Like us on Facebook